The month of June is dedicated to the Sacred Heart. The Church celebrates the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on the Friday following the second Sunday after Pentecost. This year, the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus falls on June 27.
Jesus revealed his Sacred Heart to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque, showing Himself with a human heart aflame with love. He told her that He would be present to those devoted to His Sacred heart and that His presence would lead to peace in families, the conversion of sinners, blessings in abundance, and perseverance to the dying.
Devotion to the Sacred Heart helps us experience Christ's presence in our hearts, in our homes, and in the Eucharist. It inspires us to love our family, be merciful toward others, and be charitable to the poor. In other words, this devotion helps us to be better disciples.
In the apparitions to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, Jesus gives these twelve promises for those who are devoted to His Sacred heart:
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- They shall find in My Heart an assured refuge during life and especially at the hour of their death.
- I will pour abundant blessings on all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source of an infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall speedily rise to great perfection
- I will bless the homes where an image of My Heart shall be exposed and honored.
- I will give to priests the power of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who propagate this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be effaced.
- The all-powerful love of My Heart will grant to all those who shall receive Communion on the First Friday of nine consecutive months the grace of final repentence; they shall not die under my displeasure, nor without receiving their Sacraments; My Heart shall be their assured refuge at that last hour.