Our Lady of Sorrows Community of Faith
We welcome all religious, racial, and ethnic backgrounds.
In teaching our curriculum we incorporate our mission statement, which is, "Our Lady of Sorrows provides an atmosphere rooted in the Catholic faith, dedicated to individual academic excellence, while preparing life-long learners and responsible Christian adults." Our philosophy is based on the concepts of individual identity, personal dignity, cooperative learning, and development of responsibility and self discipline. We provide a balanced program that strives to meet the individual needs of our students by honoring all phases of the learning process. Along with our strong Catholic-based curriculum, our talented faculty and staff demonstrate to our students the necessary life skills of communication, problem solving, decision making and creativity. We make it our mission to recognize and cultivate each of our students' unique gifts.
Each of our faculty members are New Jersey State certified. Many have advanced degrees or are in the process to achieve one. Our faculty is committed to the well being of our students to achive excellence in education.
We teach to the standards and requirements set forth by the Diocese of Trenton, Office of Catholic Schools and the State of New Jersey. There is a focus on higher level thinking to prepare our students for success on standardized tests and application across the curriculum.
- Integrated Language Arts program develops each student's verbal-linguistic intelligence by integrating a variety of reading, writing, listening, and speaking activities, incorporating a variety of skills and strategies.
- Science and Mathematics students at all grade levels use a variety of mathematical strategies to think critically, logically, and analytically, while incorporating a science, mathematics, and technology into their weekly lessons.
- Social Studies is an integrated study of the social sciences and humanities, and examines the geography, culture, religion, history, government and economic systems of the world.
Programs and Activities
- Academic and Cultural Assemblies
- Advanced Mathematics Program
- After School Program
- Community Service
- CYO Basketball
- Mission Club
- Debate Team
- Monthly Prayer Services and Liturgies
- PTA (Parent Teacher Association)
- School Band
- School Newspaper
- Scholastic Olympics
- Spelling Bee
- Student Council
- Yearbook Club
The objectives of these courses are to prepare our students in grades K-8 in essential fields by integrating the arts, music, computer technology, library/media, world language (Spanish), physical education and health into the daily core curriculum. These courses are building life-long learning skills for our students.
The computer technology lab consists of 33 computers, 3 interactive whiteboards, a wireless mobile lab (24 laptops), and wireless internet access throughout the building.
Resource Room Learning
The resource room program is designed to meet the needs of children with individual service plans. Instruction includes the use of manipulatives, multi-sensory materials, textbooks, trade books, computer software, and small group activities. Supplemental instruction and speech therapy are available for our students.
Learning is accomplished with the cooperation and collaboration of students, teachers, and parents.